Thursday, July 3, 2008

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Having friends takes a lot of time (well worth it, but a lot of time nonetheless). I've told you this before and it shouldn't come as a surprise to me. What has been a revelation in recent weeks is that most of my friends aren't doing any better at it than I am. In my tunnel vision, I thought I was the only one that forgot special dates, let months (or years) go without contact and just generally sucked at balancing the work/family/friendship thing.

Now that I have a chance to step back and try to repair some of the perceived damage, I find that many of my working friends are too busy for me. If they aren't good with e-mail it is a particular problem. Can you imagine - some people want to talk on the phone! I think I've been spoiled by blogging. With blogs I get daily doses of what people are doing, thinking, dealing with etc. Local friends seem to think they need to save up "real" news to make it worth getting in touch. There isn't a simple solution but I'll keep working on it.

The husband's band is playing a public gig on the 12th. If I can stay up late enough to hear them (they don't start until 10 PM), I might get a snippet of video for you. He's still loving it which makes me happy to.

I've been approached about taking an interim position as exec for a local association while they do a search. I don't know if anything will come of it but it might be a good experience (and increase my yarn fund). It is at these moments my confidence wavers. I have to remind myself how many times I told someone else to "fake it until you make it".

The cats are thrilled that I am home and will not leave me alone. They think it is vastly unfair that I go away and leave them with only my husband for company. Of course they also lie about him having fed them, so I take their meows for what they are worth.

It is hotter than blazes here and I am hiding in the house. I should go run errands but it is already 116 degrees. Too bad stores aren't open at 6 AM when it is only 98 degrees. Our resort town will be overrun with boaters this weekend so I'd probably better go grab some food to tide us over before the hoards descend.

Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

3 comments:

Donna Lee said...

116 degrees! We melt away when it gets over 90. But then we walk around saying things like 'it's not the heat, it's the humidity' all the time. Today. It is only about 80 degrees but the air is so saturated that you just feel clammy all day. You and all the surfaces around you. Yuck. I know what you mean about friends and time. I discovered I have very few people outside of work that I really talk to and most of them are family. I'm not sure if it's a time thing or if because I truly feel like my husband is my best friend I don't need lots of others? And the internet has helped that feeling along. I have all these friends out there whose lives I feel involved in. Weird thoughts.

Amy Lane said...

Ugh... I've lived through days like those--hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em...

And I know what you mean. My best friends IRL don't seem to have time to connect, but my blogging buddies... you guys are always there!!!

(My daughter's cat claims that she is the one for him--but he keeps making sweet lurve to my feet.)

roxie said...

Friends and time and conflicting schedules. Blog buddies - just five minutes each and still I feel close and supported. The thing about the written word is that it is intimate, but never intrusive. Read when you can. You don't have to take time off from work to stay connected. We are pen pals on an electronic scale.