Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Day in the Life

I haven't done the "day in the life" posting so thought I'd give it a try. I like knowing what people do in their everyday lives but maybe I'm weird that way.

Woke up with a cat meowing in my face "Dad is up and he hasn't fed me, Dad is up and he hasn't fed me". Of course by the time I got out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen, they were fed. I've tried having my DH close the door when he gets up but then the old cat craps in the carpet.

Had my morning coffee with a virtuous bowl of oatmeal. Read the paper, checked my e-mail and Facebook. Remembered my son and dil off to visit my dad today. They only live about two hours apart but the kids are so busy they have trouble getting time away.

After showering, putting on sunscreen and makeup, I headed down to the Breath of Life Didgeridoo Health Fair. Our business had a booth on healthy aging with lots of handouts on how to age well. Thankfully no one mentioned that I could stand to lose a few pounds and start walking myself! It was a beautiful spring day in Arizona and people were enjoying the cool air and sunshine. There were several performers displaying their Didgeridoo skills and several artisans who sell them to aspiring Didgeridooists? Didgeridooites?

We talked to lots of people and gave away a basket from Linda's Beef Jerky ( She has the best Italian sausage and capicolla around. I buy 4-5 packages of her sausage at a time and keep it in the freezer. Roxie asked before what capicola is and I don't think I ever responded. According to Wikipedia it is a traditional Neapolitan Italian cold cut (salume) made from pork shoulder or neck and dry-cured whole. It is spicy and sliced very thin. It is great with crackers, in sandwiches, or in scrambled eggs.

Yesterday I spent about 5 hours creating handouts, creating a display board, and packing everything up. This is what it looked like today.

After a less virtuous lunch of two Taco Bell crunchy tacos, I arrived home to find 3 surprises! Serenity had arrived from Netflix, my roulette sock arrived from Australia, and my March Wollmeise sock club yarn arrived!

The picture of my roulette sock from the Caffeine Faerie didn't come out well so I'll have to try tomorrow in the sunlight. It is made from Trekking XXL in a muted rainbow of colors using a modified version of the Spring Forward pattern. It is beautiful and I love it. It was done on Magic Loop, toe up with a gusset and heel from Cat Bhordi. I have never done any of those things so I have some new skills to learn. I'll have to hold off until I get the sweater done and I actually have the time to focus on it. Should be fun.

The Wollmeise sock club is always highly anticipated because she does such wonderful highly saturated colors. I am embarrassed to admit I haven't knit with any of it yet as I've had so many deadline projects since last fall. The sock patterns are all pretty challenging for a relatively new sock knitter and I'm not sure I'll try them all. I'm still deciding if I'm really a sock club kind of girl.

After opening my surprises, I check for the second time today to see if my son had played his side of the Word Twist game on Facebook. We are both pretty competitive and fairly evenly matched on this game. He hadn't responded so we sat down to watch Serenity while I knit on the gift sock I'm trying to finish.

We headed out to Mario's (a nice Italian restaurant) for dinner. After staring at the gift basket this morning, I wanted pasta and didn't feel like cooking. We split some clam strips, had a glass of wine and then moved on to the entrees. I like their chicken marsala and had enough to bring home for lunch tomorrow while my DH had veal piccata. I don't cook veal at home so he usually splurges when we go out for Italian. It was all very yummy. Of course my downfall of the day was when he decided we needed to swing by Coldstone Creamery for ice cream to take home. I could have opted for frozen yogurt but didn't. Oh well, start again tomorrow.

The Phoenix Suns played tonight while I played some free hidden object games on the computer. I'm trying not to spend much money right now, so I download them, play for the free hour and then go get another one. I checked several more times, but my darling son hasn't played yet. Facebook is not good for compulsive computer users like me. Can you say wasted hours :-)

Now I need to go to bed as I'm working a booth for Foundation for Higher Education at the Home Show from 9-12 tomorrow morning. I'm not looking forward to another 3 hours on my feet but it should go pretty fast.

That was my day. How was yours?


Roxie said...

Your day sounds packed full! And yes, Facebook seems to be a giant time suck. I guess it wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't such fun. It's like the population explosion. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't so much fun lighting the fuse.

KnitTech said...

The sock kit looks lovely. Can't wait to see your new sock!

Amy Lane said...

Wow-- that's a WHOLE lot of living in one day! The sock yarn is beautiful, and I can't wait to see it as a pair! (Darned cats!)