Friday, November 14, 2008

Knitting news

Empowered by the knitting prowess of my blogging buddies, I have four projects going right now for the holidays. I am confident these will be done in time - the other 4 or 5 I had planned might not make it. I like being able to pick up different projects to keep me from getting bored. I'm also finding that some I can do while watching Phoenix Suns basketball, some work with movies and certain projects demand my full attention.

I am about 1/3 done with the Cabin Fever Button Cardigan I am making for my friend's little boy. I don't remember where I saw the pattern but thought it was really cute. I read somewhere that a baby sweater is a good place to start learning the mechanics before trying anything for an adult. It is a top down pattern knitted in one piece so I am learning lots of new skills. I've never worked this much on circular needles but it is going well. Thanks to my sock knitting, I was ready for doing the sleeves on DPNs so I don't have to seam and so far have remembered my button hole rows. Once I have both sleeves down I'll post a picture. I'm using Berroco Comfort for ease of care and like working with it.

I've got one pair of socks going and have at least one more pair planned. This time I'm doing Monkey Socks, a pattern I've heard a lot about, but never tried (other than the baby ones I did). I'm using Trekking XXL but it doesn't feel as soft to me as some I've worked with. I'm wondering if it will soften more after washing.

I've started the Transition fingerless mitts which is a real challenge since I've never done any color work. I'm trying to learn Continental style so I can hold one strand in each hand. It is working but is slow going. Any tips from your experience?

My final project is another dog sweater for my granddog. This one is a wool blend so it will be a little warmer for those Iowa winters. I'm over halfway done with that one and then will cast on for the other dog. My Dad's neighbor wants a sweater for her weiner dog too so have to get that done sometime before the first of the year. Those are easy, basketball knitting kinds of projects so don't think it will be problem to get them done.

Hope your holiday knitting is moving along as well. The countdown to Christmas has started!

5 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

LALALALALALALAALALA.... I can't hear you....

Oh wait, I'm reading.

roxie said...

All this knitting! when will you have time to work?

Amy Lane said...

Wow-- the Monkey Socks were a favorite--but some of the yarn that's machine skeined doesn't *feel* soft until you rinse it and it blooms-- Opal was that way for me, maybe Trekking will be the same for you! What a lovely lot of knitting--can't wait to see it!

Donna Lee said...

I love the monkey socks. It moves along fairly quickly. Trekking does soften up considerably when washed. It's also ok when it accidentaly gets thrown into the washer and dryer....

Em said...

Wow, you're motivated! I've been keeping myself busy with easy, soothing knits (yup, scarves. all scarves. long and straight and long.) to make my knitter's soul feel better about it being so cold out now. Monkey socks are something I haven't tackled, but I do have a pair Momolla made for me, and they make for great wearing!